Wake Up!

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - The Facts

In the past two years, around 100 people have died in the UK after inhaling carbon monoxide (CO) fumes and countless others have been hospitalised by its affects.

Overseas, carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common type of fatal poisoning in many countries.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless gas that kills quickly and silently, most often when people are asleep.

Carbon monoxide is produced by:

  • Gas appliances
  • Wood burning stoves
  • Equipment that uses butane or propane gas
  • Petrol and diesel engine exhaust fumes

The most common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning are poorly fitted or maintained domestic heating appliances that have blocked or leaking flues.

Early warnings of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, tiredness and nausea. In an enclosed space this can be quickly followed by fainting and loss of conscience. Without adequate ventilation, death is possible.

Children and the elderly are especially vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning, which also poses a severe danger to unborn children.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - The Facts
< Home
Recommended Buy

Wi-Safe - Wake Up and Get Out
Make sure your family wake up and get out with Wi-Safe

Wi-Safe Warning Handset